Guru Nanak Gurdwara Smethwick is a Sikh place of worship near Birmingham, in the West Midlands of England. This beautiful Gurdwara is one the largest and oldest Gurdwaras in Europe.
Back in 1950s, the growing Sikh Community from all over the Midlands first began holding religious services in a school in Brasshouse Lane, Smethwick. Soon, there were thousands of Sikh worshippers gathering and the need arose to acquire a larger space for a Gurdwara.
Donations started pouring in and in 1958, the Congregational Chapel building at 130 High Street, Smethwick, was finally purchased. Guru Nanak Gurdwara Smethwick was rebuilt on the premises and the grand opening took place on 31 July, 1961. It was a big moment for world’s Sikh community.
In the late 1990s, expansion work again commenced to accommodate for Smethwick’s growing Sikh community. Spanning a total area of about 70,000 square metres, the building now stood tall at three storeys high.
In 2012, with more donations, a £5 million extension was further completed. The Gurdwara Sahib was now much more spacious and modern than before. Now, the new building had features like a grand Langar hall with a ultra-modern kitchen, large lecture rooms, state-of-the-art gym and much more.
Throughout the day, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji presides over the Sikh congregations. Every week, more than 10,000 Sikhs and non-Sikhs visit the Gurdwara Sahib and enjoy a meal together at the Langar hall. The Guru Ka Langar (free community kitchen) is served all day long, every day throughout the year.
One should surely visit this Gurudwara to admire the complex and enjoy some peace and tranquillity.
Address: Guru Nanak Gurdwara Smethwick, 128 -130 High Street, Smethwick – B66 3AP