This recipe has been created for when you are feeling under the weather. It is a vegetarian’s little bowl of comfort! The secret ingredient is ginger, an aromatic, spicy little kick that makes this stew soothing and tasty.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ piece ginger, chopped (add more if you wish)
- 2 carrot, cut into thick chunks
- 1 small floret of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 potatoes (boiled and cut into medium sized pieces)
- ½ can tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- ½ red onion chopped
- Handful of black olives
- ½ lemon
- Heat oil in a large, add bay leaf, then add onions, garlic and ginger.
- Cook 5-6 minutes, until the onions become a light golden brown10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly. Add some water if you find the mix is sticking to the pan.
- Add the stock cube, oregano and salt. Mix well.
- Add carrots and broccoli and 1 cup of water.
- Cover and reduce heat to low, simmering for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add potatoes and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally garnish with olives and red onions.
- Squeeze the lemon juice on top of the stew just before serving.
This is a versatile dish and therefore you can add any type of vegetables you like. You can also add a chopped boiled egg at the end to make it more nutritious.