This energising salad is packed with fresh and tangy flavours with high fibre protein needed for good digestion. The black chickpeas have a low glycaemic index which means the energy is released slowly in the body keeping you full for longer. Ideal for those who would like to lose weight.
- 1 tin black chickpeas or ½ cup dried black chickpeas (I use the dry chickpeas and cook them from scratch. I soak them for 3-4 hours then boil them with a little salt and fresh ginger in a pressure cooker)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- ¼ red pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice for dressing
- ½ bunch coriander leaves, washed and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dry mango powder (optional)
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain the chickpeas from the can and put in a bowl. Rinse the chickpeas under tap water and ensure the water is all drained.
- Now add all the chopped vegetables and grated ginger.
- Add the salt, pepper and mango powder, lemon juice and pomegranate seeds.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
You can add vegetables of your choice and boiled potatoes to the salad. Feel free to use other herbs like dill and mint leaves to enhance flavour.