Smashed avocado on toast topped with mixed seeds
This energising meal is perfect for a lazy breakfast or brunch when you need a little boost. Avocados are an excellent source of monounsaturated fat and vitamin E with added group of carotenes thought to help keep the eyes healthy. Half an avocado counts as one portion of your 5-a-day. Seeds are rich in nutrients and have many health benefits. These small but mighty kernels are high in vitamins and minerals the body needs to function. Sprinkle these over your baked dishes and breakfast cereal for health boost.
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and de-stoned
- 1 pinch dried chilliflakes (optional)
- ½ small garlicclove, finely grated
- ½ lime, juice only
- 1 tbsp of mixed seeds
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 slice brown bloomer or sourdough bread, toasted; normal brown bread works too!
- Red pepper or coriander to garnish
- Cut the avocado in half, remove pit, and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- Add the chilli, garlic, lime juice, salt and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Mash with a fork to the desired consistency. It can be as chunky or smooth as you like.
- Spread the mash on the toast, sprinkle with seeds and garnish with thinly sliced red pepper.
NOTE: Make sure you use ripe avocados. It might sound like an obvious statement, but toasting your bread properly makes for perfect avocado on toast.
Add cherry tomatoes, poached egg, feta cheese, sundried tomatoes on top of the avocado crush to jazz it up. Your options are endless.