This chickpea and aubergine salad will give you a real taste of Morocco to your table. With its simple yet flavoursome salad full of tasty vegetables and herbs, it is overall an easy dish to make that will pleasure your taste buds. Prepare it before you sleep and let the flavours combine overnight for extra delight!
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 red pepper, cut in chunks (or mix of red and green peppers)
- 2 tbsp zatar
- 1 ½ tsp cumin seeds, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan, then crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cucumber, finely chopped
- 4-5 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 dates, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Medley of herbs – coriander, dill and mint, coarsely chopped
- 3-4 mix of green and red chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp malt vinegar
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tsp Sumac or 1 T malt vinegar (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Dressing 2 (optional)
- 2 tbsp of tahini sauce
- 1 tbsp of warm water, add
- ½ tsp of harissa paste
- 1 garlic crushed
- Preheat the oven to fan 200C/ conventional 220C/gas. Put the aubergine and red pepper chunks in a shallow roasting tin, mix with zatar, cumin seeds, crushed garlic and oil.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the vegetables are cooked and beginning to turn brown.
- Rinse the chickpeas and put in a bowl; add all the other ingredients.
- When the vegetables are cooked, allow them to cool for 5 minutes, then tip into a bowl with the chickpeas.
- Toss lightly before serving.
Option for dressing:
For a more adventurous dressing take 2 tbsp of tahini sauce, mix with one tbsp of warm water, add ½ tsp of harissa paste, crushed garlic and mix well.
Add to the salad and toss well.
This is a versatile salad. You can add olives, corn, grapes and other vegetables you like.